Re: Predentata

On Mon, 5 Feb 1996, Jeff Poling wrote:

>    It was recently mentioned Bakker and others use Predentata instead of
> Ornithischia.  I like this idea as it helps clear up some of the confusion
> between "bird-hips" and bird's hips.
>
>    However, what does the Saurischia become?  The unDentata?  Nondentata?
> Antidentata?  Adentata?

Well, they have *teeth* (most of them anyway); they just don't have
predentary bones (except, as someone noted, for some early birds).  I
suppose the name would have to be Apredentata if you wanted to base it on
this particular character.

I very much dislike the term Saurischia, BTW, based as it is on a
plesiomorphous character.  There must be something better out there.  Too
bad all the synapomorphies uniting this clade are so technical and hard
to pick out.

<plug snipped>

Nick Pharris
Pacific Lutheran University