Sprawl, speed etc

Sorry, I'm a bi lost with these sprawl/upright mixes/speeds/stances. Rob, I
think, has said that sprawled front limbs add stability and a sprawl means an
aniimal does not have to slow down in a turn, whereas an upright animal does
not. Having spent a good deal of time on horsback (and being thrown off) I can
assure you that an upright animal does not loose speed on a turn; it simply
"changes foot" ie adjusts its pace to lead with the foot that is on the outside
of the turn, leans over so that centrfugal forces (laymans term?) holds it in
place on the turn, and carries on running/galloping/whatever. Equally it does
not loose manoeuvrability; it uses a hind foot to pivot (and can do this so
unexpectedly/fast that the rider falls off).

I don't understand Rob's concept of "dune busting" at all. For an animal to
survive on  soft surface it needs big big feet to stay _on top_ of that
surface.
The only reason I can see where a sprawl would help would be where the diameter
of its feet got so large they would collide with each other if held under the
body.

An aside............
As a layman, I find it difficult to understand sometimes why animal/(read dino)
behaviour is seen as primitive/simple/unsophisticated. Surely _any_ animal
which
survives for successive generations (ie successfully) is de facto an exhibitor
of extremely complex behaviour/adaptation in relation to its environment?

ciao, martin