Re: New guy

>Hey all-
>
>I've been lurking on this list for a little while now, reckoned it was
>about time to come out and ask a few questions that have been puzzling
>me. (Sorry if you've heard 'em before, but there's no FAQ!)
>
>I was a dinosaur fanatic as a kid, but my enthusiasm wore off a bit.
>Getting on the Net put me back in touch with the dinosaurian world. So
>much has changed since I was gone! I'm trying to keep up, but I have a
>few questions:
>
>1. What's all this Ceratopia stuff? Back in the days of my youth I never
>saw anything but CeratopSia. Someone get picky about the Latin or what?

Dinogeorge, Dave Norman, and others started getting picky in the 1980s.
Personally, I still like the "s", but I see the reasoning behind this.

>2. Ditto for Therizinosauroidea and Segnosauria.

Since Therizinosaurus is a member of the same family as Segnosaurus, the
family with priority is Therizinosauridae.  Theropod workers perfer to use
"Therizinosauroidea" for the clade "Alxasaurus + Therizinosauridae" (rather
than Segnosauria) because of the 'long' (okay, eight year) association of
the name "Segnosauria" with a probably mythical phylogenetic position for
this group.

>3. Did _Mononykus_ and the other alvarezsaurids have an arctometatarsalian
>pes? I seem to remember reading that somewhere... If so, does that show
>that birds are descended from arctometatarsalians, not maniraptorans?

Mononykus and "Ornithomimus" minutus have an arctometatarsus: I can show you
the slides of these.  Alvarezsaurus does not.  I do not know the condition
of the foot of Patagonykus.

If "Alvarezsauridae" is monophyletic, then the arctometatarsus probably
evolved independantly in this clade.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Vertebrate Paleontologist
Dept. of Geology