Re: Segnosaurs

In a message dated 96-02-06 11:05:21 EST, Thomas_R_HOLTZ@umail.umd.edu (th81)
writes:

>Yeah, bite me :-)

One of the things I like about the dinosaur list is the lofty, elevated tone
of the scientific discussion. :-)

>The semilunate carpal is easily seen in the hands of Late K Mongolian
>therizinosaurs (see Maleev 1976).  The skull of Erlicosaurus is clearly
>theropodan. Those who do not want therizinosauroids as theropods have yet to
>present a detailed data matrix of derived characters to support their
>statement.  They reject the possibility of reversals in the feet of the
>therizinosauroids.

The skull of _Erlikosaurus_ (note spelling with "k," which has priority over
the spelling with "c," regardless of the wishes of the describer, who should
have proofread the initial article better) is not at all clearly theropodan.
The purported apomorphies are _all_ questionable.