Re: Quo vadis, T. rex? [long]

At 12:47 PM 2/6/96 -0500, Sharon A. Calpin (717) 621-3118 wrote:
>Whoever wrote
>"Why? They're all birds, you know..."
>If you were walking down the street with a non-dinosaur-knowledgable person
and
>a tyrannosaur walked by (if only), would you say "Whoa, that's a BIG bird" ??
>(Granted, you'd probably say a lot more than that)
>
>Mr. Webster says:
>bird: any of a class (Aves) of warm-blooded vertebrates distinguished by
having
>the body more or less completely covered with feathers and the forelimbs
>modified as wings.
>
>Everyone is trying to be so careful about pronunciation and Latin spelling,
>why not be careful about vocabulary.

   Big assumption here, perhaps?  If we assume T. rex is a maniraptoran
coelurosaur, does it not make sense that it would have had feathers of some
sort?  THEN, perhaps, if a tyrannosaur walked by (nanotyrannus, perhaps,
since it was small enough to (perhaps) need insulation) they would say

** Jeff's Dinosaur Page. Home of THE DINOSTORE ** "Those who trade a        **
** (for all your Dinosaur product needs),      ** little freedom for a      **
** Jeff's Journal of Dinosaur Paleontology,    ** little security will soon **
** and The Dinosaur Mailing List Encyclopedia. ** find they have none of    **
** http://www.infinet.com/~jpoling/            ** either." -- Jeff Poling   **