Re: Re: labels are imaginary

On Tue, 6 Feb 1996, th81 wrote:

> And no one (but Dinogeorge and Thulborn) wants to call traditionally
> nonavian dinosaurs members of "Aves".  Aves, Avialae, call it what you will:
> this clade is recognized as a distinct taxon WITHIN A MORE INCLUSIVE CLADE

Excuse me, but there is a middle position as well.  I include arctomets
in the Aves, which is the sister group to the Archaeopterygiformes, which
includes Archaeopterygidae and Dromaeosauridae.  All descendants of the last
common ancestor of, say, _Gallus_ and _Archaeopteryx_ belong in the taxon
Avialae.

Of course, I only do this because I believe arctomets to be more derived than
_Archaeopteryx_.  We'll see.  Either interpretation (Archie closer to
birds than arctomets or arctomets closer to birds than Archie) involves a
greater degree of reversal and/or parallelism than I am totally
comfortable with.

> Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
> Vertebrate Paleontologist
> Dept. of Geology