Number of Dinosaur and Bird Species

Someone posted that:
> There are almost 10,000 species of birds, but less than 200
> species of sauropods. Even fewer stegosaurs, ceratopians, etc.

Now bird species I can count.  Have a dozen or so species flying around the
bird feeder in my yard.

Dinosaur species?   I don't know.  I've got some bones here, some bones there,
some other bones scattered around Asia and Antartica, etc.  Unfortunately I
have no dinosaurs to count, and, from what I can tell, only a lot of arguments
about how many different dinosaur species use to be wandering around.

Even if we all could agree on the number of species the bones represent, how
would we extrapolate that to estimate the actual number of different dinosaur
species that originally existed.  It seems to me that what we have if a rather
small, rather fragmented bone samples and no practical experience in using
them to estimate the number of species when the bones were in their original
factory packages.  (If I find six screws, two washers, a couple of electrical
cords of different lengths,  and various odd knobs and dials, how do I the
question on how many appliance models Maytag makes?)  Even if we thought we
had a statistically sound method for the estimate, how would we test it for
accuracy?

Believe we should have kept a control group.

Gary Bull
gwinston@msn.com