Re: Triceratops sprawl (long)

In a message dated 96-02-06 16:51:16 EST, pharrinj@PLU.edu (Nicholas J.
Pharris) writes:

>But _Yangchuanosaurus_ is included in the Sinraptoridae, and the name
>_Yangchuanosaurus_ is much older than _Sinraptor_.  Am I missing
>something here?

Yes. The name of a family does not necessarily derive from the name of the
oldest included genus. It derives from (we would all hope) the best-defined,
most diagnostic included genus (ha!)--in the opinion of the coiner of the
family name, at any rate. That some family names often do derive from the
names of their oldest included genera usually stems from the coining of a
family name simultaneously with the creation of the first-known genus in the
family.

That's partly why we have Tyrannosauridae rather than Deinodontidae now, for
example.