Re: Sprawl, speed etc

On Tue, 6 Feb 1996, Rob Meyerson wrote:

> I suggest that the
> ceratopians were simply more *efficent* at high speeds, due to their inherent
> stability.

Your argument might gain some weight if your hypothetical sprawling
ceratops could actually *attain* high speeds, doesn't look very likely to me.

> I'm afraid that dune buggy manufacturers disagree.  Tires on these vehicles
> only
> make contact with the ground at four relatively small points (relative to
> vehicle size).  I simply make the suggestion that the two morphologies are
> analogous to each other, evolving/designing to overcome the same conditions.

That might make some sense if the ceratops had *angled* arms, with
straight elbows, but your idea of holding the humerus horizontally seems
exceedingly unlikely.

Nick Pharris
Pacific Lutheran University
Tacoma, WA 98447