Re: Quo vadis... (REALLY my last)

In a message dated 96-02-06 17:26:48 EST, nking.ucs@smtp.usi.edu (King, Norm)
writes:

>Maybe I should make up my own suprafamilial categories.  How about:
>Hyperfamily?  Macrofamily?  Masterfamily?  Honchofamily?
>
>Or maybe these could be nano-orders?

A severe case of the Too-Deep-Hierarchy Problem! (See _MM_ #2.) You can solve
it by (1) not giving names to _all_ the different clades; (2) chucking the
Linnaean ranks entirely and using a sequential monophyletic hierarchy, in
which you may intercalate as many branching nodes as you like; or (3)
gathering up some of the clades into paraphyletic taxa.