Re: Quo vadis, T. rex? [long]

> Although, if one really thinks about it, assuming that any theropod (or
> any dinosaur) did *not* have feathers is just as big an assumption,
> considering that all living dinosaurs do!

     Lets say we kill off all the placentals and monotremes in a mass
extinction someday.  Similar logic might lead some space alien
paleontologists to believe that all mammals had a marsupium.  Feathers
being a characteristic of all dinosaurs, all theropods, or just a particular
group of theropods are all possblities, but there is insufficient
evidence to reach a conclusion.  I don't think the idea of feathers
being a dinosaur or theropod trademark is at all more plausible than it
being an innovation of one little twig off the theropod tree.  For the time
being, the only thing we can say is that birds are KNOWN to have feathers,
and dinosaurs are not.

LN Jeff