Re: Alxasaurus and segnosaurs

On Tue, 6 Feb 1996, Nicholas J. Pharris wrote:

> The "Pachydermata," on the other hand, was a taxon conceived to hold
> tapirs, horses, rhinos, elephants, and hippos.  This assemblage is
> polyphyletic, the features supposedly uniting this group having appeared
> independently in each lineage.

OK.  I know it looks a little screwy to have me responding to my own post
("boy, this Pharris guy is really desperate for attention!"), but I
wanted to correct myself before anyone else had the chance.  I should
have said "...the features ... having appeared independently in each of
three lineages:  Perissodactyla (tapirs, horses, rhinos), Proboscidea, and
suine Artiodactyla."

Nick Pharris
Pacific Lutheran University
Tacoma, WA 98447