Re: Quo vadis, T. rex? [long]

On Wed, 7 Feb 1996 Tompaleo@aol.com wrote:

> Given that there is a paucity of evidence regarding dinosaur skin and that
> those few impressions have _not_ shown any sort of feather, anyone who is
> convinced that theropods had feathers is taking a greater leap of faith than
> is acceptible science.

As is anyone convinced that theropods were covered in scales, or anything
else, for that matter.

> I do not mean this as a barb, nor to offend. Those of
> you who steadfastly want to see feathered Tyrannosaurs  are certainly
> entitled to believe so but I remind you that it is mere speculation. It is
> not fact!  And right now it is just wishful thinking.

Just remember, a scaled _Tyrannosaurus_ is also mere speculation.

> No one has yet to
> prove that birds are dinosaurs in any sense.

I don't think this is really what you meant to say, but I like this
version.  If no one has yet to prove something, then it's already
proven!  Birds have been proven to be dinosaurs as securely as anything
can be proven in paleontological phylogeny.

> As for the new ornithomimid , the jury is still out. It would
> not surprise me at all if the vaunted feather or somethinglikeit impression
> is an artifact of preservation.

Hard to say, as I have never seen it personally.  Dangerous to go around
assuming such, though.

> Regards,
> Thomas R. Lipka
> Paleontological/Geological Studies

Nick Pharris
Pacific Lutheran University
Tacoma, WA 98447
(206)535-8204
PharriNJ@PLU.edu

"If you can't convince them, confuse them." -- Harry S Truman