Re: New guy

>In a message dated 96-02-07 09:32:08 EST, Thomas_R_HOLTZ@umail.umd.edu (th81)
>writes:
>
>>>This makes me _seriously_ doubt the proposed relationship between
>>_Mononykus_
>>>and _Alvarezsaurus_. If they're going to be confamilial, they should at
>>least
>>>have the same pedal structure, for Heaven's sake.
>>
>>Such as Hyracotherium and Equus?
>>

>I couldn't care less about _Hyracotherium_ and _Equus_.
>
>But--don't tell me they're in the _same family_?!

Actually they are not.  Hyracotherium is a basal paleothere while the North
American forms (usually called Hyracotherium or Eohippus or Protorohippus or
???) are equids (so they probably aren't in the same "family")
David J. Froehlich                              Phone: 512-471-6088
Vertebrate Paleontology Laboratory                Fax: 512-471-5973
J.J. Pickle Research Campus
The University of Texas, Austin, Texas 78712