New Protoavis Publication.

Yes as you may have guessed from the subject heading, half a decade has
rolled around and Sankar Chaterjee has published a bit more on Protoavis.
The reprint of the paper "Chatterjee S., 1995, The Triassic bird
Protoavis. Archaeopteryx 13, 15-31." was recently sent to our lab. In it
are descriptions of the post cranial material, drawings of bones (as
reconstructed), a cladogram and a new skeletal reconstruction. If
anything the new drawings look even more birdlike than in his Phil.
Trans. paper. Especially the pectoral girdle wich he investes with a
very large deeply keeled sternum. The skeletal reconstruction still
looks ill-proportioned to me, with a puny little pelvis and femur
perched on top of lower leg elements that appear to belong to an animal
twice the size. Sankar finds that his Protoavis is embedded within the
Ornithothoraces (more derived than Iberomesornis and Sinornis).
Apparently his phylogentic analysis is in press, to be published in
Palaeontographica.
BTW I've never heard of the journal "Archaeopteryx" before, does it deal
with Palaeornithology alone?

 Adam Yates