Hyacotherium/Eohippus

>>>_Mononykus_
>>>least
>>>
>>>Such as Hyracotherium and Equus?
>>>

>>I couldn't care less about _Hyracotherium_ and _Equus_.
>>
>>But--don't tell me they're in the _same family_?!
>
>Actually they are not.  Hyracotherium is a basal paleothere while the North
>American forms (usually called Hyracotherium or Eohippus or Protorohippus or
>???) are equids (so they probably aren't in the same "family")

That's right: I had heard about this "hyracothere plexus problem" (i.e.,
almost all basal perissodactyls are called "Hyracotherium", so it is a
paraphyletic genus.

Any chance that the type of Eohippus will turn out to be a basal equid?
Wouldn't that be nice!

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Vertebrate Paleontologist
Dept. of Geology