Re: Re: Re: Tyrannosaur walking down the street

>> Actually, according to Farlow et al.'s model, if it fell while walking (less
>> then 10 m/s, for example) it would survive.
>
>     Really?  I thought they said that if a T.rex fell, regardless of how
>fast it was moving or ven if it was standing still, it would probably be
>killed. Running fast just increased the likelyhood of this calamity occuring.

Reread the paper.  Depending on the model used, only falls at high speeds
would be fatal.  This is why the suggest that T. rex might have limited its
top speed to 10-15 m/s, rather than risk a fatal fall at 20 m/s, regardless
of whether it was *capapble* of achieving a 20 m/s run.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Vertebrate Paleontologist
Dept. of Geology
University of Maryland