Re: Dino feathers=Ptero fur?

On Wed, 7 Feb 1996, Nicholas J. Pharris wrote:

> > Does anyone know if any theropod skin impressions besides
> > _Carnotaurus_, _Harpymimus_(?), and _Archaeopteryx_ are known? (besides
> > modern birds, of course)
>
> That was _Pelecanimimus_.  There is supposed to be an impression from the
> end of the tail of a tyrannosaur.

Well, what does it show?

> > If _Carnotaurus_ didn't have feathers, does this necessarily mean that
> > feathers must have developed after the ceratosaurs split from the
> > tetanurines, or could it be that theropods (or dinosaur in general) beyond
> > certain size didn't need an insulating coat any more (as in elephants,
> > rhinoes, etc.)
>
> That's Greg Paul's preferred explanation, and I'm not disagreeing.

Which one? I listed two explanations.

Also, what non-theropod (or phytodinosaurian) skin impressions are
known (besides the hadrosaur mummy)?

> Nick Pharris
> "If you can't convince them, confuse them." -- Harry S Truman
                                                       /\
I was wondering when you'd get around to fixing this___/  :-)

-T. Mike Keesey
tmkeesey@wam.umd.edu
http://www.wam.umd.edu/~tmkeesey
http://exp1.wam.umd.edu/~tmkeesey