Re: Quo vadis, T. rex? [long]

At 06:24 PM 2/7/96 -0700, Jeffrey Martz wrote:

>>    BUT.... absence of evidence IS circumstantial evidence.  Regardless,
>> absence of evidence is only compelling, as far as I'm concerned, if there
>> can be a strong case made that skin/feather/hair impressions should be as
>> common as the growing grass.
>
>      Many dinosaur skin impressions are known, perhaps the most
>spectacular belonging to Carnotaurus and the hadrosaur "mummies".  Except
>for the peculiar Pelecimimus [sic] "hairs", which are very questionable,
>no one has ever found feathers on any dinosaur except Archaeopteryx (and
>post Archaeopteryx birds, if you really want to call them dinosaurs).

   Are not Carnotaurus and hadrosaurs larger forms?  If you look at very
large extant animals, such as elephants, hippos and whales, they have very
little hair.

** Jeff's Dinosaur Page. Home of THE DINOSTORE ** "Those who trade a        **
** (for all your Dinosaur product needs),      ** little freedom for a      **
** Jeff's Journal of Dinosaur Paleontology,    ** little security will soon **
** and The Dinosaur Mailing List Encyclopedia. ** find they have none of    **
** http://www.infinet.com/~jpoling/            ** either." -- Jeff Poling   **