Re: Dino feathers=Ptero fur?

On Thu, 8 Feb 1996, T. Mike Keesey wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Feb 1996, Nicholas J. Pharris wrote:
>
> > > Does anyone know if any theropod skin impressions besides
> > > _Carnotaurus_, _Harpymimus_(?), and _Archaeopteryx_ are known? (besides
> > > modern birds, of course)
> >
> > That was _Pelecanimimus_.  There is supposed to be an impression from the
> > end of the tail of a tyrannosaur.
>
> Well, what does it show?

As I recall, bumpy skin.

> > > If _Carnotaurus_ didn't have feathers, does this necessarily mean that
> > > feathers must have developed after the ceratosaurs split from the
> > > tetanurines, or could it be that theropods (or dinosaur in general)
> > > beyond a
> > > certain size didn't need an insulating coat any more (as in elephants,
> > > rhinoes, etc.)
> >
> > That's Greg Paul's preferred explanation, and I'm not disagreeing.
>
> Which one? I listed two explanations.

That feathers developed early and large dinosaurs lost them because they
didn't need insulation.

> Also, what non-theropod (or phytodinosaurian) skin impressions are
> known (besides the hadrosaur mummy)?

I wish I knew.  I don't believe there have been any found from small
ornithischians, though, and that would be the place to look for feathers.

> -T. Mike Keesey
> tmkeesey@wam.umd.edu

Nick Pharris
Pacific Lutheran University
Tacoma, WA 98447
(206)535-8204
PharriNJ@PLU.edu

"If you can't convince them, confuse them." -- Harry S Truman