theropod skin

 Re: Tess Owen tyrannosaur skin find. I rocksawed that one out myself.
Several sandstone blocks nearby contained tyrannosaurid dorsal ribs,
astragalus, gastralia, vertebrae, limb bone impressions. The block with the
playing card-sized patch of skin had a tyrannosaur gastral rib and partial
?ilium impression right next to it. There were no other types of dinosaur
bones in the immediate area (just S.W. of Edmonton, Alberta). The astragalus
was sawed out and I prepared it. Measurements from it compared to the T. rex
in Tyrrell galleries indicated the "skin impression tyrannosaur" (as its
come to be known locally) was 76% the size of the rex in our (Tyrrell)
museum. I noticed a comment in an earlier digest that mentioned tyrannosaur
skin from near or from the tail, and I'm not sure if that is referring to
our specimen. The skin impression I sawed out was not directly attached or
associated to any articulated remains- the skeleton was disarticulated, so
actual region of body placement would be impossible now. Phil Currie told me
there is tyrannosaur skin at the National Museum in Ottawa and I've seen
some at MOR in Bozeman, Montana. The Edmonton sample was the best of the
three. I had a hard time convincing people here at Tyrrell that it was
tyrannosaur skin- I guess they were expecting something quite different. Our
tyrannosaur skin specimen looks much like the small beaded pattern found in
hadrosaurs.

 Darren Tanke, Technician I, Dinosaur Research Program, Royal Tyrrell Museum
of Palaeontology, Box 7500, Drumheller, AB, Canada T0J 0Y0. (403) 823-7707;
(403) 823-7131 (fax). Paleo Interests: fossil identification, collection and
preparation, centrosaurine ceratopsians, Upper Cretaceous vertebrate faunas
of North America and East Asia, paleopathology; senior editor on annotated
bibliography of extinct/extant vertebrate dental pathology, osteopathy and
related topics (9,300 entries as of Feb. 7, 1996).