Re: Quo vadis, T. rex? [long]

On Fri, 9 Feb 1996 Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 96-02-09 01:23:32 EST, pharrinj@PLU.edu (Nicholas J.
> Pharris) writes:
>
> >I repeat:  It makes no sense and is of no use to classify _Deinonychus_,
> >_Triceratops_, and _Apatosaurus_ in one group and exclude the birds, when
> >_Deinonychus_ is far more like any given bird than it is like
> >_Apatosaurus_ or _Triceratops_.
>
> It may be of no use to you, but it is often quite useful to others, such as
> ornithologists.

Why would this be of any more use to ornithologists than anyone else?  It
would not be productive for primatologists to go around saying that
primates are different enough from other mammals to deserve their own
coordinate taxon.

If ornithologists really just wanted to concentrate on modern birds, what
should they care how that taxon as a whole is classified?

In fact, ornithologists probably benefit the *most* from a nested
classification, because it allows them to see easily how and when the
particular attributes of birds first evolved.

Nick Pharris
Pacific Lutheran University
Tacoma, WA 98447
(206)535-8204