Re: Dino feathers=Ptero fur?

On Fri, 9 Feb 1996, Nicholas R. Longrich wrote:

> > To answer your second question:
> >
> > Yes, based on foot and braincase features, I believe arctomets (including
> > _Tyrannosaurus_) to be more closely related to modern birds than
> > _Archaeopteryx_, although Tom and George, just to name a few, disagree.
>
> Okay, so I was reading you right. I assume you mean that they're
> secondarily flightless, rather than a second evolution of flight.

Yes, that is my interpretation.  I believe I'll post a clarification of
my views on this particular subject to the list soon, if you're interested.

>       On the subject of T. rex running- it doesn't really make much
> evolutionary sense for an animal to be able to run faster than it safely
> can or would. It would seem to make about as much sense as paying for a big
> 250 horsepower outboard and putting it on a little rubber raft, and never
> going full-throttle because you know you'd kill yourself if you tried-
> it'd be wasteful, and that's one thing selection takes care of pretty
> quickly. One would think that T. rex probably used all the speed it
> evolved to have.

Indeed!

>       -Nick L.

Nick Pharris
Pacific Lutheran University
Tacoma, WA 98447
(206)535-8204
PharriNJ@PLU.edu

"If you can't convince them, confuse them." -- Harry S Truman