Re: Quo vadis AAAARG metaphor limits

On Fri, 9 Feb 1996, Pat Grant (Library: Serials Catalog wrote:

> I think we need a new metaphor--the bush just isn't up to the level of
> the discussion that's being hung on it.  How about trying, say, a
> copse of poplar trees?  Those are normally all clones of one tree,
> spread by underground stems, but once established each tree can
> function as an individual.  Is this a great metaphor or what!

That is, indeed, a nice metaphor, and applicable in many cases, but not
this one.  Birds are not sprung from a sister tree to that of dinosaurs;
they are a branch of that tree.

Nick Pharris
Pacific Lutheran University
Tacoma, WA 98447
(206)535-8204
PharriNJ@PLU.edu

"If you can't convince them, confuse them." -- Harry S Truman