Re: Running speed of T. rex

>Good example.  I'd like to know more about big cursors (particularly
>ratites) and the measures they take to avoid falls, before I
>subscribe to Farlow's model.
>
>Nick Pharris

    Well, I hope I can help...

        From my few years living on a ratite ranch, I can say that I
have never seen an ostrich fall of it's own accord. They seemed to be
pretty good at not tumbling when they ran. it was only when we were
trying to handle them that they fell, and that was usally from a non-
moving/standing position.

        Emus, on the other hand, fall all the time. Especially(sp?)
when they attained high speeds. If they got worked up and started
bolting around, they'd fall, roll over, hop back up, and start
running around madly again with their itty-bitty little wings
sticking out.(Along with them leaping in the air and spinning in
cicles, it's a rather comical sight; I was on the ground the first
time I saw it:-)). They seem to have no problem with it. But then,
their not as big as a T-Rex either(I tend to liken them most to
Dromaeosaurus sp.).

        I don't know if anyone has brought this up yet, but one way
to look at it is: why would a T-Rex need to run X times faster than
it's prey? For example, if it's prey runs 5 km/h, and Rex runs 7
km/h, then the prey is history(not that they ran that slow...). I
don't know how fast Ceratopians and Hadrosaurs ran, but I doubt it
was fast enough for a T-Rex to have to do a flat out 40 klicks or
whatever.

Breathe Deep, Seek Peace...
Cory Gross
Alberta Palaeontological Society