Re: Re: Re: Tyrannosaur walking down the street

> >> Actually, according to Farlow et al.'s model, if it fell while walking
> >> (less
> >> then 10 m/s, for example) it would survive.
> >
> >     Really?  I thought they said that if a T.rex fell, regardless of how
> >fast it was moving or ven if it was standing still, it would probably be
> >killed. Running fast just increased the likelyhood of this calamity occuring.
> >
> Reread the paper.  Depending on the model used, only falls at high speeds
> would be fatal.  This is why the suggest that T. rex might have limited its
> top speed to 10-15 m/s, rather than risk a fatal fall at 20 m/s, regardless
> of whether it was *capapble* of achieving a 20 m/s run.
>
> Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
> Vertebrate Paleontologist
> Dept. of Geology
> University of Maryland
> College Park, MD  20742
> Email:Thomas_R_HOLTZ@umail.umd.edu (th81)
> Fax: 301-314-9661
> Phone:301-405-4084

Well, shoot, if the T. rex is, to quote the subject description, _walking_ down
the street, it's not going to be going full speed.  Sure, it may have been
capable of attaining that speed, but consider that there are going to be a lot
of terrified motorists cluttering up the road, as in _Beast from 10,000
Fathoms_ and lots of tasty(?) little people running around.  I'd say it probably
couldn't get past a trot.

R. Scott Kowalke

Just a thought - anybody seen the Doctor Who episode entitled "Invasion of the
Dinosaurs"?  Great effects, JP of it's day! (snicker)