Re: A delicate matter...

I too have heard that mammalian testicles tend to be external because
of the lower temperature required for spermatogenesis (and Barbara
Wodehouse declares that dogs with undescended testicles inevitably have
uncontrollable behavioural problems), but have also read (I think it
was in _Zoo and Wild Animal Medicine_) that elephant testes remain
permanently inside the body cavity.  (I won't try to suggest that
they're secondarily mass-homeotherms...)