Re: Irritator and the law

[I forgot to mention previously that the moderation policies I set out
 in my previous message won't fully take effect until midnight
 tonight.  That is, I'm not counting messages yet. -- MR ]

In a message dated 96-02-13 15:26:58 EST, swf@ElSegundoCA.ATTGIS.COM (Stan
Friesen) writes:

> > >I am asking because last night I realized that at least in most states
> > >in the USA the alterations done to it probably constitute either
> > >fraud or attempted fraud.  If the law where the purchase was made
> > >is similar, the dealer may be liable to criminal charges, and if the
> > >statute of limitations has not run out, I think filing charges would
> > >be a good way to deter such actions in the future.
> >
> > The type specimen was unearthed in Brazil and is now in a German museum.
>How
> > does US law apply here?
> >
>I said "if the law that applies is similar".  I never meant to imply
>that US law actually applied - only that the law that does apply *might*
>be similar, and that this possiblity ought to be pursued.
>
>What we need is more specific information.

Most likely the fossil was purchased in Brazil, from one of the locals. There
is a cottage industry in finding, collecting, preparing, and faking up
Santana Formation fossils to hawk to the gringos. I can't imagine what kinds
of "laws" might apply here. Both Maisey and Martill have written about this
situation fairly recently.