Re: synapomorphies

On Tue, 13 Feb 1996, Rob Meyerson wrote:

> Most cladigrams I have seen tend to be constructed in the speciation model,=
>  where the cladigram gets broader as one goes up the "tree" (like a maple). =
>  Since Gould's punk eq has shown quite convincingly that the tree of life is=
>  actually shaped like a pine, is it possible that most cladigrams portrays=
>  an old fashioned view of evolution?

Gould's reorientation of the tree of life is only applicable if one
includes time.  Cladograms show relationships (ideally, at least)
irrespective of the geological time frame.  Reorganize Gould's tree with
every species lined up at the top, and it assumes the shape of a normal
cladogram.  It has to.

> Rob
>
> ***
> "Don't panic."

Nick Pharris
Pacific Lutheran University
Tacoma, WA 98447
(206)535-8204
PharriNJ@PLU.edu

"Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my disk?"