Wheelies vs Springers, and other

Hello all,

Recently we discussed the suspension of ceratopians(sp?) involving the
front end.

Wheels encounter the forces of gravity and angular momentum in a totally
different way than would the muscle-reactant spring of the legs. To try to
compare these two means of transfering energy into motion is difficult.
After looking at the idea of dunebuggie like springyness, with positive
"toe-in", one can see the inherent and proven workability. This quality
would be handy, but I have doubts that the animal normally stood or walked
this way. Unlike a wheeled machine the dinosaur had the ability to change
the "alignment" of its suspension at will. Under different conditions
various foot to shoulder arrangements of bone and muscle would be enacted,
and footprints alone tell only part of the story. Trackway evidence might
not be absolutely perfect. A huge footprint  aside, slippery mud might
require an altered stance, and would reflect a nonstandard skeletal
position. Maybe they shold be happy they didn't have to play on astroturf.
Then again this type of dinosaur couldn't be considered the running backs
of their world, could they?
Therapod Oral Hygene

Last spring (aprx.) I mentioned the possiblity that teeth, such as T-rex
had, might cause seriuos infection in biting, if not fatal immediately. (I
never claimed it to be origional, but lacking the study sources it might as
well have been). If we think in single event terms this makes little sense.
But if we look at a migration seasons worth of nipping attacks, and the
resulting sustained die-offs, there would be a near constant supply of such
weakened individuals. It just might be that a well fed T-rex could take a
long nap, and wake up with the hadrosaur herd several miles away. A few
wounded and stinking members would be a scent beacon. Is there even a
remote possibility that some therapods saliva could have been actually
poisonous? Bite now, eat later. Semi-scavangeristic. Great way to survive
in a hostile world.
Stegasaur Plate Attachment

I asked this question before, and other matters distracted from it.

Just how were the plates attached to the rest of the skeletal framework, if
at all? It seems that if you're gonna have devoted so much to developing
these things and not be able to flap them around. It seems that if you're
gonna flap these things around they need to be attached pretty well. I just
cannot picture one of these creatures without them moving these plates
purposefully.

"Milliwatt seconds on maximum output, and we'll dust that puppy with one
quick blast from my radar gun."-------------- the Bottle Rockets

Roger A. Stephenson
rstephen@cswnet.com