a question about reproductive strategies, another about

I have two questions for the group:

1)  When discussing dinosaur reproductive strategies, the terms
"r-strategy" and "K-strategy" are used.  I understand the definition of the
terms (I think) but want to know what the "r-"  and the "K-" stand for, if
anything.

2)  I am trying to establish an osteological indicator of relative tracheal
length in extinct animals, and thought that a ratio of cervical length to
trunk or thoracic length would be suitable.  I'm looking for  correlates of
soft tissue structures in the respiratory system that might be presrved in
the fossil record and from which some inferences might be made about
the dimensions of tracheae, lungs, etc.  I'd appreciate some feedback
about what bony structures, landmarks, measurements, etc. might be
appropriate.

Thanks for any information on either of these two queries.

James

James M. Norton, Ph.D.
University of New England
11 Hill's Beach Road
Biddeford, ME  04005
phone: [207]283-0171 x2270
fax: [207]283-3249
email: jnorton@mailbox.une.edu

"I hold it equally impossible to know the parts without knowing the whole
and to know the whole without knowing the parts in detail."     Pascal