Re: ANKYLOSAUR CLUBS *

Darren Naish wrote:

>This is not a feeble attempt to inject some discussion into a sobered
and >mourning community. It just looks like it.

Why, because people are thinking before throwing something out? I am
now reading more because there are more thoughtful messages to read.

>he doesn't think lateral flexibility was great in the
>tails of these animals (a synsacral complex ?often incorporates fused
proximal>caudals) and motion in the vertical plane was just about
impossible.

But he did not manipulate a tail three dimensionally in space. Looking
at bones and drawing them is not the same science as manipulating them
on a skeleton. Besides, Coombs did not explain why the anterior caudal
ribs are so elongated if not for muscles to swing the tail from side to
side. There is nothing in the anatomy that precludes the animal
crouching with its butt in the air to swing the club. The amount of
movement between each vertebrae does not have to be great, but the
effects will be cumulative down the tail to the club handle (fused
caudals). As for the idea of mimicry, only in Euoplocephalus is the
club spherical - i.e., skull like. In most other ankylosaurids, the
club is elongated and low in profile, and sometimes wide; these
certainly do not look remotely like a skull (or head). The idea of
Tony's was interesting and I thought it worth suggesting - afterall
that is how science grows.

Kenneth Carpenter
Dept. of Earth Sciences
Denver Museum of Natural History