Re: DML Omnipedia stuff

In a message dated 96-02-16 13:44:01 EST, Thomas_R_HOLTZ@umail.umd.edu (th81)
writes:

>Megalancosaurus is NOT clearly ornithodiran, or someone other than George
>would accept it as such.  For that matter, it is not unambiguously an
>archosaur.

Alan Feduccia might. He and Rupert Wild wrote a joint pop-aci article on
_Megalancosaurus_ as an ancestral aviform.

>It is such a highly transformed critter that indeed be an ornithodiran (and
>certainly agrees with Dinogeorge's conception of arboreal ornithodirans).
>On the other hand, the similiarities of its skull and neck may be convergent
>with ornithodirans, as some other megalancosaurid/dolabrosaurids seem to
>lack these derived features.

_Spinosuchus_ exhibits the same kind of cervical-dorsal vertebral transition
(and the the same kinds of dorsal neural spines) as _Megalancosaurus_. For
_Dolabrosaurus_ and _Drepanosaurus_ we may not have enough neck to tell.

Has the "deep-tailed swimmer" been described or illustrated anywhere else
except those Paul Olsen articles in the early 1980s?