Fossil Law (fwd)

 Below is a segment of: Bill (HR 2943)  Fossil Preservation Act of 1996
                                       (Introduced in the House)
 I am posting this information to the list as part of a research project
 being conducted by Science & Technology students in grades 5, 6, 7 & 8.
 If you have questions or comments, please e-mail them to:
                                                 kferrant@njlink.pppl.gov
                Please use the following SUBJECT heading: Fossil Law 2943
> FILE h2943.ih
>           HR 2943 IH
>           104th CONGRESS
>           2d Session
>           To provide for the collection of fossils on Federal lands,
>           and for other purposes.
>                              IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
>                                     February 1, 1996
> Mr. JOHNSON of South Dakota (for himself and Mr. SKEEN)
> introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee
> on Resources, and in addition to the Committees on Agriculture,and
> Transportation and Infrastructure, for a period to be subsequentl
> determined by the Speaker, in each case for consideration of such
> provisions as fall within the jurisdiction of the committee concerned
>                                          A BILL
> To provide for the collection of fossils on Federal lands, and for
> other purposes.
>   Be it enacted by the Senate and House of
>   Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
> SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
>       This Act may be cited as the `Fossil Preservation Act of 1996'.
> SEC. 2. FINDINGS AND PURPOSES.
>         (a) FINDINGS- Congress finds that--
>            (1) paleontology, as distinct from archaeology, is the study
>                of prehistoric, nonhuman life and is most closely allied with
>                geology and biology;
>            (2) the science of paleontology is best served by unimpeded
>                access to fossils and fossil-bearing rocks in the field;
>            (3) fossils have scientific, educational, and commercial value;
>            (4) fossils are accessible on Federal lands, but the few
>                Federal laws or regulations in existence on the date of
>                enactment of this Act do not provide for uniform regulations
>                for their collection;
>            (5) access to fossils on Federal lands should be provided to
>                research scientists, educators, amateur collectors, and
>                commercial entities under proper guidelines, but collecting
>                decreases the benefit of Federal lands for the people of the
>                United States if the collecting--
>              (A) separates scientifically unique fossils from their
>                  geological and paleontological contexts,
>              (B) removes scientifically unique fossils from the realm
>                  of public education or scientific study, or
>              (C) interferes with ongoing excavation by researchers
>                  engaged in permitted studies or excavations.
>            (6) scientifically unique fossils, as determined by the
>                Council, must be deposited in institutions where there are
>                established research, educational, and training programs in
>                paleontology.
>        (b) PURPOSES- The purposes of this Act are--
>            (1) to secure, for the present and future benefit of the
>                people of the United States, the protection, including
>                collection and preservation, of fossils that are on Federal
>                lands;
>            (2) to provide a uniform national policy on fossil collecting
>                on Federal lands that--
>              (A) enables research scientists, educators, amateur
>                  collectors, and commercial entities to collect fossils on
> [...]
 The students found this document an interesting read and felt many of
 you would too!

 The full text can be viewed at the following:

        ftp://ftp.loc.gov/pub/thomas/c104/h2943.ih.txt
 or ... you can browse the following WEB site:  http://thomas.loc.gov/

Forwarded to the list by:

--
========          Ken Ferrante          ========