Addendum to Survey

Whoops. I forgot to mention that there were a couple of responses to the
survey: "What I wish children in school would learn about dinosaurs"
that involved cladistics and the BCF, BADD, BAAM viewpoints. It was difficult
for me to consolidate those concepts. How about:
        17. Research shows [a favorite buzz-phrase in education--a.n.] that
dinosaurs and birds are closely related and that birds may have evolved
from dinosaurs or may indeed BE dinosaurs.

Somehow it was very difficult for me to use the "c"-word in the actual
list. I felt that trying to explain cladistics to elementary school
students would be impossible, especially since I am not an authority on
the subject. I do agree with some of you that it would be appropriate at
the high school level.

Which brings up another question. Have scientists outside the
paleontology community embraced cladistics whole-heartedly? I realize
that since cladistics is bound up in shared evolutionary characteristics,
it is an integral part of the study of paleontology. But how integral
would it be to the study of, say, veterinary science? (I just noticed
that my pine spell-checker does not recognize the word "cladistics.")

----- Amado Narvaez
      anarvaez@umd5.umd.edu