Megalancosaur/Dolabrosaur/Spinosuchidae

>In a message dated 96-02-16 13:44:01 EST, Thomas_R_HOLTZ@umail.umd.edu (th81)
>writes:
>
>>Megalancosaurus is NOT clearly ornithodiran, or someone other than George
>>would accept it as such.  For that matter, it is not unambiguously an
>>archosaur.
>
>Alan Feduccia might. He and Rupert Wild wrote a joint pop-aci article on
>_Megalancosaurus_ as an ancestral aviform.

Oops.  I forgot to add Larry Martin, too.

In any case, it is safe to say that it is not unambiguously an ornithodiran
or archosaur.  Of course, the megalancosaurs are not unambiiguously ANYTHING
other than diapsid, so they might well stem from almost any diapsid clade.

>Has the "deep-tailed swimmer" been described or illustrated anywhere else
>except those Paul Olsen articles in the early 1980s?

Not published.  For those who aren't aware of this little critter, it is a
*short-necked* dolabrosaur/megalancosaur/spinosuchid (did Huene or someone
else name a "Spinosuchidae"?  If so, that would seem to have priority) from
the Newark Supergroup.  Cute little guy, but not named yet.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Vertebrate Paleontologist
Dept. of Geology
University of Maryland