a request for help in saving a geology dept (forwarded)

Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 09:47:58 -0700
From: Benjamin Greenstein <bgreenstein@WHITTIER.EDU>
Subject: HELP!
To: Multiple recipients of list DDDNET <DDDNET@UICVM.UIC.EDU>

                      Subject:                              Time:  9:33
  OFFICE MEMO         HELP!                                 Date:  2/19/96

TO EVERYONE OUT THERE.

PALEONTOLOGY AND THE GEOLOGY PROGRAM AT WHITTIER COLLEGE IS IN TROUBLE!!

We need help from all of you.  Our new Dean has announced he plans to
terminate the geology program here at Whittier College.  This move has taken
everyone by complete surprise.  The department recently expanded from 2 to 3
permanent faculty, and I was specifically hired with the understanding I
would have an opportunity to build a program.  We were searching for a
replacement for our retiring mineralogist, and were subsequently going to
re-tool the geology curriculum.   Should this move occur, that opportunity
will be lost.

We would appreciate letters that might educate our new Dean about the
importance of a geology program, particularly at a liberal arts college in
SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA!!

Another meeting is scheduled for 2/29 to discuss the dean's decision, and we
would appreciate having a sheaf of supporting letters by that time.  Please
send an additional copy to me (BGREENSTEIN@WHITTIER.EDU) so I may produce
them at that meeting.

Our dean's name is Dr. Richard Millman, his mailing address is at:

Office of Academic Affairs
Whittier College
Whittier, CA 90608

His e-mail address is millman@whittier.edu.  If you wish to copy the
president his name is James Ash, same snail mail address, e-mail to
jash@whittier.edu

Many thanks for all your help.

Ben Greenstein

Bonnie Blackwell,                               bonn@qcvaxa.acc.qc.edu
Dept of Geology,                                (718) 997-3332
Queens College, City University of New York,    fax:  997-3349
Flushing, NY 11367-1597