Re: I need some help building a Rex!

[Moderator's note:  I wasn't sure whether or not I should pass this on
 to the list, but since it relates more to dinosaur biology than to
 the specifics of Martin Lyle's problem, I figured what the hey...  But
 since the issue is now raised, I should tell you that I rejected a
 build a T. rex skeleton for a play.  I thought it should go only to
 Martin Lyle directly, but if a bunch (let's say five or more) of you
 ask to see it, I'll forward it to the list.  -- MR ]

On Sun, 18 Feb 1996, Martin Lyle wrote:

> The script calls for, oddly enough, a baby Tyrannosaurus
> Rex skeleton to be assembled during the course of the show.
>
>       The entire completed structure needs to end up being between about 8
> or 9 feet tall.  That's all I know so far.  How wide would that be?  What are
> the dimensions of a T. Rex?

8 OR 9 FEET TALL??  That's hardly a baby!  Hmmm...  Let's see.  As I
recall, _Utahraptor_ is supposed to be about 6 feet tall and 20 feet
long.  A similarly-proportioned 9-foot-tall _T. rex_ would be about 30
feet long!

I assume you mean 8 to 9 feet long.  Theropods are (fortunately) usually
measured by hip height and length, as the back was held horizontally
(PLEASE remember this when you are building your _T. rex_!).

>                 -- M
> J. Martin Lyle

Nick Pharris
Pacific Lutheran University
Tacoma, WA 98447
(206)535-8204
PharriNJ@PLU.edu

"If you can't convince them, confuse them." -- Harry S Truman