Re: Fossil Preservation Act posting

On Sat, 17 Feb 1996, muriel29@wavenet.com (MC2) wrote,

>        On the face of it, it appears reasonable; doesn't Canada have
>something similar, that mandates national/scientific interests when
>it comes to fossil preservation?

    G'day,

        Being from Canada, I thought I could shed a bit of light on
this.

        I'm not sure about all of Canada, but in Alberta, ALL fossils
collected belong to the government or Crown or whatever. Individual
collectors are only the stewards of the finds, and these finds can be
repossessed by the government whenever they feel like it. So if I
take a bone to the Tyrrell for identification, for example, and they
ask to keep it, then I can't refuse and I have to give it to them(as
my understanding goes). Commercial collecting/sale of fossils in/from
Alberta is forbidden unless you fill out a whole mess o' forms(again
AMUG). Taking fossils out of the province is also banned. And
incientally, it is the duty of the collector to gather as much
scientifically useful data about the find as possible.

        Oh, just about forgot the most important thing...SURFACE
COLLECTING ONLY, NO QUARRYING!! If the bone police catch you out in
the field with a spade, then you're screwed.

        IMHO, this is a very good system. It (theoretically...I have
heard some Dinosaur Prov. Park horror stories) stops people from
screwing up important finds, leaving them to the professionals. It's
forced responsibility, but responsibility none the less.

Later,
Cory Gross
Alberta Palaeontological Society
MRC Earth Sciences Society