SPHENODONTS VS. LIZARDS?

Hey wow, I can mail *at least one* address...

> Darren Naish replied that sphenodonts did well against lizards into the
> Triassic, then something happened that might not have been related to
> competition from lizards.                            (Norm King)

Hope you don't think I'm being picky, Norm, but I didn't say this. I said that
early Mesozoic sphenodonts were as numerous and diverse as lizards are today.
This is different from implying that the two groups co-existed fine and dandy -
 they didn't because lizards weren't numerous or diverse early in the Mesozoic.
Seemingly they only got big (ecologically) after sphenodonts were out of the way
- it would be interesting to know more about this though.

Of course, there are flaws in this (sphenodonts weren't _exactly_ as diverse as
modern lizards - e.g. there were no big carnivorous sphenodonts, no arboreal
gliding sphenodonts, no legless fossorial sphenodonts), but, in the absence of
true lizards, sphenodonts were the 'lizards' of the early Mesozoic. You're
probably familiar with the little terrestrial insectivores and herbivores, but
amongst the variety, some were marine. Note that _Sphenodon_ has no fossil
record, unfortunately it's morphological conservatism might warrant its 'living
fossil' title. There are now (once again) 2 tuatara sp., BTW.

AMPELOSAURUS

Can someone please tell me where the _Ampelosaurus atacis_ description was
published? I thought it was in Comptes Rendu, but the jan ish doesn't have it.

"And when I trip - I fall. It's just like that"

DARREN NAISH