Re: ANKYLOSAUR CLUBS *

On Thu, 22 Feb 1996, Jeffrey Martz wrote:

> > Mammals engaging in agonistic behavior never initiate an attack with
> > their rear ends.

> Also, I'm under the impression that the anterior cadals allowed a greath
> deal of lateral movement.  Long tailed ankylosaurs like Euoplocephalus
> might be able to  swing the tail far enough foreward to bash an opponent
> while still more or less facing it.

Ankylosaur tails weren't quite *that* flexible.  Also, bear in mind that
ankylosaurs were rather broad, hippo-shaped animals with big, wide rib
cages.  The tail would have hit the animal's own side before it hit the
rival.  If the tail were flexible enough, it would have wrapped around the
animal and bashed it in its own head or neck; if not, the inertia of the club
would likely have broken the tail shaft against the animal's side.  Neither
sounds like much fun to me.

> LN jeff

Nick Pharris
Pacific Lutheran University
Tacoma, WA 98447
(206)535-8204
PharriNJ@PLU.edu

"If you can't convince them, confuse them." -- Harry S Truman