Allosauris weirdilis

   While flipping through my Carnegie Museum book for info on the Morrison
Formation, the picture of their Allosaurus caught my eye.

   The first thoratic? rib seems to be literally bent behind and around the
shoulder girdle.  A quick perusal of my meager references failed to turn up
another dinosaur with such an arangement.

   1)  Is this actually how things would have been aranged in life, or is it
the mistake of the preparator?
   2)  Assuming it is correct, why?  What advantages does it give?
   3)  Assuming it is correct, why do no other dinosaurs show this arangement?

   And while I'm at it, Dinogeorge posted once that he thought the
Allosaurs' first rib was really a furcula.  Looking at the picture, the ribs
in question above have the general shape I might expect a furcula to have,
but they aren't fused at the ends.  None of the other nearby ribs seem like
a good candidate to be this furcula.

   Am I remembering George correctly?  If it isn't the mystery ribs above,
which ribs might be the furcula?  Does the Carnegie mount have the
misdiagnosed furcula?

** Jeff's Dinosaur Page. Home of THE DINOSTORE ** "Those who trade a        **
** (for all your Dinosaur product needs),      ** little freedom for a      **
** Jeff's Journal of Dinosaur Paleontology,    ** little security will soon **
** and The Dinosaur Mailing List Omnipedia.    ** find they have none of    **
** http://www.infinet.com/~jpoling/            ** either." -- Jeff Poling   **