Re: Airfish! (absurdity)

>     "Dr. Scheinman and three colleagues from the Biogenetic Institute of
>Geneva developed the promising new fish under a grant from the World
>Health Orgnaization.  The scientists genetically modified a puffer or
>blowfish (Plectognathi), making it possible for the fish to take oxygen
>directly from the air instead of using its mouth and gills to extract it
>from the water.
>     "Their object was to develop a meaty, tasty fish that could live in
>badly polluted water, but they ended up with something even better than
>that: They created a fish that could live in the air!

>Norman R. King

Science marches on, at least in supermarket checkout lanes.  Of course the
most interesting part of the story has been omitted - namely how the
genetecists dealt with the fact that many puffers are, in fact, deadly
poisonous (unless prepared with extreme care, as for the famous fugu fish in
Japan), producing a virulent poison called tetraodotoxin or something like
that.  Perhaps this is really intended as a population control measure?
Office: 130 Adelaide Street W., Suite 1940
Toronto, Ontario Canada M5H 3P5