Re: Dinosaur Genera List corrections #39

In a message dated 96-02-26 12:23:10 EST, nking.ucs@smtp.usi.edu (King, Norm)
writes:

>I wasn't aware that Russian authors (is anyone else doing this?) are
>grouping footprints into "ichnofamilies" (e.g., "Carnosauropodidae,"
>"Iguanodontopodidae," and other "-podidae's" with Russian authors).  This
>is strictly renegade taxonomy, as far as I know.
>
>Just something to be aware of.

They've been doing this for more than a decade at least, starting probably
with Vialov 1985. It is an attempt to organize ichnotaxa and other trace taxa
into higher groups. I do not know whether there is an ichnogenus
_Iguanodontopus_ to go with family Iguanodontopodidae, or _Carnosauropus_
with Carnosauropodidae, but if there ain't, those family names are toast.