Re: Footprint forgery

On Tue, 27 Feb 1996, Jeff Poling wrote:

>    BTW, anybody know if the bit about the sun over the monuments is legit?
> My brother says that if the angle of the earth changed, the equinox and
> solstices would all *shift,* not spread out with the equinox staying in the
> exact same spot.

The angle at which the earth is tipped has no effect at all on the
*timing* of the equinoxes and solstices.  The only thing that would be
affected by a different angle would be the *latitudes* over which the sun
is directly overhead at the solstices.

An equinox or solstice will occur every quarter-year, no matter what the
tip angle.  Only the rate of revolution can affect the timing.

Nick Pharris
Pacific Lutheran University
Tacoma, WA 98447
(206)535-8206