Re: segnosaurs

>  This is an elaboration of a hypothesis put forward around 1972 by
> Rozhdestvensky, before segnosaurs were recognized as a distinct
> dinosaur group, to account for the large-clawed, large-forelimbed
> therizinosaurids and deinocheirids being discovered in eastern Asia:
> The large claws were for holding the creatures upside-down, hanging
> sloth-like from trees. Most paleontologists have ignored
> Rozhdestvensky's paper, or have cited it as some kind of fringe
> paleontology.

I'm not surprised - the idea still sounds a bit loopy.  I didn't
think there were too many trees in the Gobi Desert, even back in the
Cretaceous.  And any tree capable of supporting a fully-grown
_Deinocheirus_ or _Therizinosaurus_ must have been HUGE!!  But maybe
Nessov is onto something when he suggests that the earlier
segnosaurians were insectivores.  (Didn't someone else once suggest
that _Therizinosaurus_ used its huge arms and claws for ripping open
giant termite nests?).  I'd love to see Nessov's work.

Has anyone found a skull for _Therizinosaurus_ (or for _Alxasaurus_)
yet?

What about the phylogeny of the Segnosauria?  Have the segnosaurians,
like the tyrannosaurians, now been classified in the Coelurosauria?

Tim Williams