Re: Afrovenator abakensis

On Tue, 9 Jan 1996, Aaron Feuk wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Jan 1996 pharrinj@PLU.edu wrote:
>
> > I'm not absolutely sure which message you mean.  What did it
> > contain/pertain to?  I'm afraid I posted that one back when I was
> > deleting all my own posts from my mailbox, thinking I'd never need them
> > again.  Ha, ha.  If it's the theropod taxonomy you want, I still remember
> > it.                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >

> I think it might be it?
> >      Nick
>
> Aaron

Here goes nothing:

Revised theropod phylogeny, based on the work of Sereno, with suggestions
and elaborations by Pharris ;-) and Holtz (Dinogeorge, you're not going
to like this much):

Theropoda
   Coelophysidae
   Ceratosauria
      Ceratosauridae
      Neoceratosauria
         Elaphrosauridae
         Notosauria
            Abelisauridae
            Velocisauridae
            Alvarezsauridae
            Noasauridae
   Tetanurae
      Kaijiangosauridae
      ?Coeluridae (I have NO idea what to do with these little guys)
      Megalosauria
         Eustreptospondylidae (incl. Eustreptospondylus, Afrovenator,
                Piatnitzkysaurus, ?Valdoraptor)
         Megalosauroidea
            Megalosauridae
            Spinosauridae (incl. Spinosaurus, Baryonyx)
      Neotetanurae
         ?_Monolophosaurus_
         Carnosauria
            Sinraptoridae
               Cryolophosaurinae
               Sinraptorinae
            Allosauridae
               Allosaurinae
               Acrocanthosaurinae (may be allosaurines)
               Chilantaisaurinae
            Carcharodontosauridae
         Coelurosauria
            Ornitholestidae (a near-perfect intermediate between
                        allosauroids and dromaeosaurs)
            Compsognathidae (?metatarsal III more compressed proximally
                        than in ornitholestids)
            Dromaeosauroidea
               Dromaeosauridae
               Oviraptoridae
            Arctometatarsalia
               Archaeopterygidae
               Avialae
                  Paraves (new; "beside birds")
                     Tyrannosauroidea
                        Tyrannosauridae
                           ?_Indosuchus raptorius_, part.
                           Shanshanosaurinae
                           Tyrannosaurinae
                              Alioramini
                              "Albertogorgonini" (long, low horns,
                                        shallow mandible)
                              Albertosaurini
                              Tarbosaurini
                              Nanotyrannini (may be a tyrannosaurin)
                              Tyrannosaurini
                        ?Labocaniidae
                        Ornithomimidae
                           Pelecanimiminae
                           Harpymiminae
                           Garudimiminae
                           Ornithomiminae
                        ?Deinocheiridae
                        ?Dryptosauridae
                     Troodontoidea
                        ?Elmisauridae
                        Troodontidae
                        Archaeornithoididae
                  Euaves ("true birds"; _Sinornis_ to modern birds; I am
                                looking for a comprehensive classification of
                                euavians, to be included in future theropod
                                classifications)

As I mentioned the last time I posted this classification, _Avimimus_ may
be either a paravian or a euavian, and troodontoids may be more closely
related to euavians than tyrannosauroids.