Re: Colbert & Ostrom Talk (fwd)

At 11:50 AM 1/17/96 -0500, Stan Friesen wrote:

> > I find a lot of the
> > "knowledgable" comments on a fossil that in fact has very few
> > "birdlike" characters
>
>I suggest you read Ostrom's discussion of this matter!
>There are some 20 to 30 avian synapomorphies found in Archaopteryx.
>Most are not obvious in phorographs - but they are there.  For
>example: opisthopubic pelvis, furcula, avian-styke fused wrist
>structure (what is the technical term here?), to name just the
>most obvious.  Brain casts show a very bird-like brain structure
>as well.

   Kings of Creation / Dinosaurs Rediscovered by Lessem states that there
are over 80 shared characters between Archaeopteryx and modern birds.  About
20 to 30 (perhaps the ones you site above) are listed on my web page.

** THE DINOSTORE.  50% OFF STOCK LIQUIDATION!!  ALL IN-STOCK DINOSAUR FOSSIL **
** REPLICAS, COLLECTIBLES AND BOOKS 50% OFF!  ONE WEEK ONLY:  Jan 15 - 21    **
** BUY $50 WORTH, SALE PRICE, AND GET 30% OFF ONE SPECIAL-ORDER FOSSIL       **
** REPLICA! Check out our on-line catalog at http://www.infinet.com/~jpoling/**
** Hurry, quantities are limited!                                            **