Re: Tonouchisaurus

In a message dated 96-01-21 23:20:56 EST, pharrinj@PLU.edu writes:

>What can anyone tell me about "Tonouchisaurus?"  Does anyone know where
>there is anything published about this animal, particularly bones?
>Apparently Barsbold thinks it's a tyrannosaur, but based on the age I am
>going to need some convincing of this.
>
>A foot and a hip would be particularly helpful.

As far as I know, only newspaper accounts exist so far. I asked Barsbold
about it at the 1995 SVP in Pittsburgh, and he said the remains consist of a
complete didactyl manus and complete pes, as well as other limb bones, of a
small theropod about a meter long. The forellimbs are relatively short, the
hind limbs relatively long. I'm not sure, but I think the pes is _not_
arctometatarsalian. Lower Cretaceous of Mongolia, discovered by a civil
engineer named Tonouchi, perhaps during an excavation or something like that.
We all await the description of this little fellow.