RE: how small is small?

I suggest you divide the genera of each family into percentiles by length
or mass. The bottom third is "small", the middle third is "medium" and the
top third is "large". Add "huge" and use quartiles if you prefer.
Note again that the categories are not comparable between families (or
whatever level you want to divide into size ranges). Thus a "small"
sauropod might be larger than a "large" stegosaur.
By the way, wasn't the original "CARNOSAURIA" a grouping derived
partly from size (ie "Carnosaurs = large theropods")? I'm sure that the
definition is more technical and rigorous now   :)